Sewing machinists make clothes, accessories and soft furniture.
- follow a set of instructions for each sewing job
- sew different fabrics like cotton, wool, leather or industrial textiles
- draw threads through and change machine settings for different jobs
- feed material through the machine
- stitch together clothes, samples or other items
- check finished work against the pattern instructions
- carry out quality control checks
- clean and oil machines
Textile and garment factories or high-end boutique shops that do alterations.
You could work in a factory or in a workshop. Your working environment may be noisy. You could work at home as a freelance machinist.
Hours vary depending on the organisation but typically you will work in shifts Monday-Friday.
£15,000-£21,000 per year depending on experience
There are no set entry requirements for this route.